loader image
Bateman Group Logo
Bateman Group Logo

Residential Landlord Insurance

    Exclusive, individually designed insurance for private residential landlords

    Why choose us for your Residential Landlord Insurance

    We know landlords have special requirements when it comes to insuring their properties – which is why we have access to an extensive panel of market-leading specialist polices provided by underwriters ranging from all of the major National composite insurers through to “niche” MGA’s and the Lloyds of London market, ensuring that we can provide you with the right level of cover to meet all of your requirements – whether you own a single property or indeed a portfolio of properties.

    Helping the UK with Residential Landlord Insurance since 1967

    Why The Bateman Group?

    • Established since 1967
    • Personal service – nominated point of contact
    • Annual reviews
    • 100% independent consultants with access to whole of market
    • Capacity & experience to place non-standard/specialised risks
    • Experienced ‘in-house’ support team
    • Swift issue of policy documentation
    • Rapid claims handling
    • 3,000 clients across the UK

    The following covers can be tailored to your individual requirements:

    • Buildings – all risks of loss or damage including subsidence
    • Contents – all risks of loss or damage to communal areas, wardens & caretaker units
    • Loss of rent following an insured peril to the property
    • Property Owners Liability
    • Employers Liability
    • Cost of re-housing tenants following an insured peril to the property
    • Malicious damage by tenants
    • 3 Months full cover for unoccupied properties
    • Loss of metered utilities from accidental damage
    • Replacement or repair of underground service pipes & cables extending from building to public mains from accidental damage
    • Cover of costs incurred in trace & access to leaks
    • Clearance of drains as result of an insured contingency
    • Replacement of locks to external doors following theft of keys from the property

    Optional Covers:

    • Landlords contents of rented property
    • Legal Expenses Protection – tailored options available include: Contract Dispute, Repossession & Tax Investigation

    Residential Landlord InsuranceFAQs

    What is Residential Landlord Insurance?

    With access to a range of tailored Residential Landlord insurance policies that can provide a bespoke package for landlords who rent out domestic properties, we can help you find the right level of cover at the most competitive price.


    The packages available contain everything required to be fully protected as a residential landlord, including cover such as buildings, contents, and property owners’ liability insurance, plus many other areas of protection such as loss of rent.

    Why do I need Residential Landlord Insurance?

    Making sure that you are fully covered in all risk areas is our highest priority for you. These specialist policies have been designed to offer the ideal package which includes everything you require in one simple premium, so you can rest assured that once everything has assessed all areas there could be a potential claim, that you are covered in any unfortunate circumstances.

    What does Residential Landlord Insurance cover?

    Our selected panel of market-leading insurance packages cover many areas of risk such as damage in a fire or flood which could pay for repairs and rebuild, landlords liability insurance in case of any accidents, as the smallest ones can cause the biggest claims, plus many other areas of protection.


    Our experienced insurance advisors will assess your needs and put together the best Residential Landlords Insurance package for you to ensure the most comprehensive protection that you require. We aim to source the best cover for you at the most competitive price from our panel of insurers.

    How does Commercial Landlord Insurance work?

    The modern specialist Residential Landlord Insurance package offers a selection of covers that you would require to protect yourself and your property against any risks, as well as protection for your tenants.


    The way in which we assess the best Residential Landlord Insurance package for you, is we take the time to fully understand your requirements, if you have multiple residential properties or if this is your first venture, along with the uniqueness of the way you work and how everything is set up.


    We go into detail to determine the level of risk that is probable on a daily basis, so we can then build the right bespoke insurance package that would protect you, your properties, and tenants in any of those unfortunate circumstances.

    What if I have had claims in the past?

    When a quote is put together for Residential Landlord Insurance, we asses your activity on an individual basis depending on a number of factors. If you have had claims in the past, we are still able to provide insurance for you, once we establish the whole picture of the risks involved for you as a residential landlord.


    Setting in place risk preventative measures and procedures can dramatically reduce the chances of the claimed risk happening again. These efforts can also help increase the number of insurers that we are able to approach to provide you with the most comprehensive and lowest priced Residential Landlord Insurance package in your current state of risk and previous claims.

    Is it a legal requirement to have Buildings Insurance?

    It’s not a legal requirement to have Buildings Insurance, however, if you are looking to get a mortgage for the property then this may be one of their requirements, as well if you have a leasehold arrangement. Although it’s not a legal requirement, it is highly advisable as damage to the property could be very costly to repair and could cause loss of income if your tenants have to move out. We can also provide Loss of Income Insurance within your Residential Landlord Insurance package.

    What’s the difference between Buildings and Contents Insurance?

    Buildings insurance is part of the permanent structure of the building such as the roofs, floor, walls, and contents are the items inside that could be moved to another property. Contents would include things like furniture, freestanding appliances, and electronics. Although this can seem very straightforward, depending on your policy wordings items like carpets would be covered under contents insurance, whereas tiles, for example, would be covered under buildings insurance, and even fixtures and fittings such as the bathroom and kitchen would also be covered under buildings insurance.

    What does Accidental Damage Insurance cover?

    Accidental Damage Insurance is part of your Residential Landlords Insurance package, and it covers you against any one-off accidents that have caused damage to your property or contents. This can be things such as a spill on the carpet that would pay for the replacement, or if damage was caused to the wall or nearby items while putting up the shelves, for example, that would pay for the cost of repair.

    How can I correctly value my building?

    The value of your buildings sum insured is calculated based on the cost of how much it would take to rebuild the property to you, rather than today’s market value. This would include the labour and the materials, especially if you are able to source the required work at a reduced cost. Don’t forget to take into account other areas such as design costs, legal fees, professional advice, planning, site clearance and removal expenses.


    We are not professional valuers and do not offer that service. We would always recommend that you obtain a professional valuation on a regular basis to ensure that the sums insured are correct, up to date and in line with market conditions to avoid any risk of “under-insurance” in the event of a claim, which could affect the outcome of any payment.


    If you are in any doubt regarding the value of your home or possessions, then always seek the advice of an experienced and qualified professional – and if any changes are subsequently required, then contact your insurance broker and/or provider to ensure that the levels of cover are accurate and appropriate.

    Do you provide Residential Landlord Insurance in monthly instalments?

    We are able to provide most types of Residential Landlord Insurance packages in monthly instalments. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of our insurance experts who will be able to advise on the best solution to ensure the full protection to you as a commercial landlord. Please start an online quote at the top of the page or call us on 01926 495 113.