loader image
Bateman Group Logo
Bateman Group Logo

What do you need to know about home insurance?

It might be difficult to know where to start your search for home insurance with so many firms offering a variety of products. Here’s all you need to know about home insurance.

    Contents coverage vs. building insurance 

    There are two forms of protection available with home insurance. 

    The first is buildings insurance, which protects the home’s structure. It acts as a safety net if your home’s walls, windows, or roof are damaged. 

    Contents insurance, on the other hand, protects the things inside the home. When you first get a policy, your insurer will normally ask for details of any pricey objects in your home. You will be able to claim money for valuables such as laptops, jewellery, and furniture in the event of a fire or flood. 

    Is insurance a legal obligation? 

    Home insurance is not required by law. It is, nevertheless, strongly advised. 

    In the event of a tragedy, knowing you have solid insurance cover in place will give you peace of mind. It can also save you a lot of money by covering repairs and replacements that you might not have been able to afford otherwise. 

    Insurance supplements 

    Conventional house insurance can be enhanced with a variety of options. Many homeowners benefit from these because it allows you to create a customised approach for your family’s current needs. 

     Legal expense insurance 

    Any legal procedures connected to the home will be covered by legal expenditure insurance. Many policies go much further and provide coverage for personal injury, death, and employment-related risks. 

    This insurance will typically cover the costs of retaining legal counsel, and some insurers may even reimburse lost wages throughout a dispute.  

    Emergency preparedness 

    As the name implies, this will safeguard your family from home emergencies such as burst pipes, a broken boiler, or a pest infestation. An emergency is defined by insurers as anything that renders your home uninhabitable or dangerous. 

    Students’ contents Insurance 

    Building insurance is the landlord’s obligation for student residences, just as it is for other rentals. Student contents insurance can be purchased separately or as part of a family policy. This protects belongings in the event of a break-in, fire, or flood. 

    For more information, contact our experienced team. 

    Recent Articles